Thursday, September 25, 2014

Letter from Uman

Dear Family,                                   Sept. 10, 2014

Super sorry for not "snail mailing" recently, it has been long busy days here in Uman.  I am doing good, just working and trying to baptize all of Uman...  That plan is moving slow but will happen at some time, Ha ha.  No, but really, Uman is a cool place.  It is interesting having a whole island as my area, ha ha.  Kind of makes me feel like a missionary way back in the day when they had whole countries or states as their missions.

Well chuuk is still the same except for President Zarbock is really cracking down on mission rules.  All the missionaries in Chuuk came in for a Zone Conference where the president reminded all the missionaries of the rules.  It was way super good because wee needed the reminders.  It's been hard to hard to keep the schedule.  Also socks are extremely hard to wear because they get dirty and destroyed fast.  Now the zone is being very obedient and it is bringing huge blessings (still not sure what blessings come from wearing socks, but there must be some, ha ha).

Change of subject... Christmas is coming! It hasn't gotten any colder here, which is definately wierd and makes me miss the different seasons.  No change in seasons means there isn't a break from mosquitos, but that's life here in Chuuk.  Mom asked what I want for Christmas, and thinking about it, maybe ties and pictures would be about it for this year (of course food and candy will always be gratefully appreciated).  I am very excited and nervous for my first Christmas away from home.  Excited because I get to spend Christmas here in Chuuk, nervous and kind of bummed that I don't get to spend it with all of you guys.  But I do send my love with this letter, ha ha.  I will call from a cell phone at the appointed time, ha ha, no early call this year so I can talk to you guys with no osukosuk (problems).  I wont even try to skype because it was too stupid last time.

Well I will wrap this up with my testimony of obedience.  I know that blessings only come when we obey.  If we are disobedient we do not receive blessings, it's as simple as that.  There is not grey lines in this principle because you personally know what is right and what is wrong.  When you disobey no one is responsible but you. You made the choice and that is beautiful and comforting to me personally because that means that even Satan in all his power can do nothing to "force" you to sin.  The choice is always yours and God will not let any temptation come to us that is too much for us to say "no" to (see 1 Corinthians 10:13).  I love the gospel  and I love our Lord and Savior.

I love you guys and always pray for you!

Love Elder Jeff Payne

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

1 Corinthians 10:13

Home in Uman.

Jeff's source of electricity - solar panels outside the apartment charges the batteries during the day.

Multi-purpose furniture.  A bed and a table.  IKEA eat your hear out!

Elder Fermanis preps the firewood.

Elder Payne cooking rice over a fire (they were out of propane that day).

Elder Payne on P-Day relaxing.

What's for dinner?

Let's eat!

Elder Payne in Uman.

No comments:

Post a Comment